Looking for a super cute bridesmaid's present? Most people wouldn't consider a DIY project for these gifts, but they can be much cuter and more meaningful than a store bought token. Case in point, these adorable DIY Lace Clutches featured in the Spring 2009 issue of Martha Stewart Weddings. For this project, you'll print clip art onto heat-transfer paper and iron the designs onto fabric. Some light sewing will be involved - enlist Mom or a friend/relative with a sewing machine and some sewing knowledge if you are like me and are a sewing neophyte.
DIY Lace Clutch
1. Print clutch design on iron-on heat-transfer paper.
2. Iron the design onto ivory cotton canvas, following the manufacturer's instructions. (Be sure to position the transfer so the long edge is parallel to the grain of the fabric.)
3. With scissors, cut out design, leaving a 1/4-inch border at left, right, and scalloped sides. At the bottom, leave a 1/2-inch border.
4. Cut left and right sides with scalloping shears, leaving 1/8 inch as border.
5. Flip canvas over and fold bottom up 3 1/2 inches. Top-stitch both sides closed.
7. Stitch a 20-inch length of ribbon to the center of the bottom portion of the clutch, 2 inches from the bottom.
6. With a screw punch, punch a hole at the top center, 1 1/2 inches down from the point of the center scallop. If you do not have a screw punch, make a 1/2-inch vertical slit with scissors.
7. Fold top half down 3 1/2 inches. Pull ribbon through hole or slit, and tie in a bow to close.
*The only clip art colors available on MS Weddings for this project are an aqua blue, a yellow and a grey. To get some different color options, you could use photoshop on the pdf.
Get the Blue Clutch Clip Art
Get the Gray Clutch Clip Art
Get the Yellow Clutch Clip Art
-Iron-on fabric transfers (No. 8938) by Avery
-Pale-gold, taupe, and silver 24-millimeter silk double-face satin ribbon (No. 02324) from M&J Trimming
-14-ounce cotton canvas in linen, check your local fabric store
-Screw punch, by Martha Stewart Crafts, also available at Michael's stores
Find more lace DIY projects from Martha Stewart Weddings here.